Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Disrespectful Shoe

Being the mother of three girls I can tell you that there are times that my house has been a little emotional to say the least and at most I could liken some moments to a nuclear power plant in those critical moments right before it explodes leaving a fallout of catastrophic proportions. How many of you understand what I'm talking about?

I only mention it because we had one of those unstable moments that can lead to all out melt down today. One of my daughters left her shoes downstairs in the middle of the living room. Then without a word another one of my daughters picks up the shoes and throws them upstairs right at her sister's door.

I know what you might be thinking..... On one hand you want to give her credit and say "Way to go! Thank you for picking up after your sister. You got the job done!" There could be worse things than tossing a shoe to her sister, right?! On the other hand there was so much attitude in the shoe toss that it snatched my thoughts immediately from what I was working on and focused me on the moment at hand.

I would say that in our house the biggest key to keeping things peaceful and mostly harmonious is respect. As I witnessed my daughter muttering things under her breath while hurling a shoe (at a high rate of speed might I add) in the direction of her sister's location while making a snarly face does not qualify as respect.

 
I'm sure parents everywhere would agree with me that they wish that their kids were always behaving like this picture represents. My girls are intelligent, funny and hard working. We have laughed together, cried together, played together, and worked together. They are by far the biggest blessing my guy and I have in our lives. I think I can speak for all you moms and dads out there when I say, It is not always like this!
 
I have been witness to a lesser act of "sister on sister violence" turn into an all out frenzy, but not today! My guy and I have spent everyday for almost 21 years saying the same thing.....I know all you parents out there feel the same way. I am not saying this to give us credit for this moment of victory, I do give all the glory to God for this one. He gave us His Word which has been our source of wisdom when we felt we were lacking.
 
Our go to verse in these moments is: Luke 6:31(NIV)  Do to others as you would have them do to you. I grew up with three brothers and we heard this verse A LOT!  Come on......we all heard some version of this verse. "Treat people the way you want to be treated," that is probably the most common version. I have heard it a lot, and I have said it a lot!
 
What a simple verse!! In all it's simplicity, what makes it so difficult to actually walk out? What is it that causes us to react however we want to situations, or to seek our own vengeance? What is it that makes us feel like we have the right to throw a couple of shoes like a heat seeking missile directly toward one of our loved ones?
 
Kids aren't the only ones that don't always treat others the way they want to be treated....right? You don't have to look too hard to see that our society has a problem with respect. We can make a difference though. It is up to us to speak up for what is right and to love with the love of Jesus. We should be quick to love and quick to forgive. We should shine the light of Jesus wherever we go.
 
Today, right on the heels of this "Hulk-Smash" moment, my daughter went and apologized. I am thankful for that. Thankful that 21 years of speaking the truth of God's Word makes a difference.
 
God's Word will always make a difference!!
 



No comments: