Thursday, December 18, 2014

Operation Cookie Day 1













After a short trip to the grocery store Operation Cookie Day started off with a bang!  The goal was to make all our cookies and treats in one day. That didn't happen! We were a bit over ambitious, we did however, make 6 different cookies/treats today that I will share some pictures and recipes of.
Here is our stock of supplies
for Christmas treats!
These may be empty now, but
they will be full soon!
 Tomorrow we will have to pick up where we left off see about completing our goal!

The first cookie on the list today was a new one for us. We had not only never made it before, but we had never even heard of this recipe before. We found it on SchoolhouseTeacher.com and I believe it has become our favorite. It is simple, tasty, and beautiful!  Feel free to check out my review of SchoolhouseTeacher.com, it is a wonderful resource for the homeschool household!



Cool Whip Cookie

Ingredients:
1 (18 1/4 oz) box cake mix - the flavor of your choice
1 (8 oz) containter Cool Whip - thawed
1 egg

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
2. Form into balls
3. Roll in confectioner's sugar
4. Bake @ 350^ for 10-12 minutes
5. Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing

This was the simplest cookie ever! We made with both chocolate and yellow cake mixes. I am looking forward to trying this cookie again with some more creative cake mixes!  :-)  Can't wait!

 
Here's a little video of one of my girls hard at work!



Pineapple Coconut Snowballs

Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese - softened
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple - drained
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut - sweetened

Directions:
1. When you drain the pineapple make sure that you remove any excess juice. I put it on a paper towel and dried it out before using it.
2. In a small bowl beat the cream cheese and pineapple together until thoroughly mixed.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll into 1" balls.
5. Roll in coconut.
6. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

This too was a simple and yummy recipe. I have one daughter that has a bit of a cooking handicap and burns everything, so this was a great one to have her work on. No cooking needed!

 Okay, this next tasty treat is not a cookie. It isn't even a traditional treat.....but we thought we would give it a try! Let me just say this.....this recipe should be followed pretty much to the tee! I usually don't make it a habit of following recipes very closely, but as my pictures will reveal.....this one is one to follow precisely!  Now listen, you will laugh when you see the recipe that I'm talking about. You may think, hmmmm....she just must not know what she's doing. Don't be fooled by this seemingly simple recipe. It didn't turn out well with my first attempt, but if you follow it precisely, you will have a beautifully yummy treat.

Chocolate Covered Grapes

Ingredients:
1 bunch seedless grapes
4 oz Milk Chocolate baking chips
4 oz Semi Sweet baking chips
2 TBS shortening

Be sure the grapes are thoroughly dry before dipping in the chocolate mixture. Moisture will cause the chocolate to seize.

When you do it wrong, it will look
a little like this!! :-)
Directions:
1. Wash grapes. Drain thoroughly on paper towels for several hours. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan combine the milk chocolate, semi sweet chocolate and shortening. Heat and stir over low/med heat until chocolate is melted. Holding grape bunch by the stem, dip grapes partially into melted chocolate. If necessary, spoon chocolate over grapes to coat. Let excess drip off. Place grapes stem side up on prepared cookie sheet.
3. Chill until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.

First, let me say this picture cracks me up! I asked one of my girls to take them out of the refrigerator and take the picture for me!  Look how it is teetering on the edge of the counter precariously!!!!  SO FUNNY! Second, look how pretty!! ha ha!

This is all I will be sharing today! I don't want to overload you! Tomorrow is another day.....in fact it is another Cookie Day! I will share the recipes of the other three treats we made today in my next blog, so stay tuned!  Enjoy these recipes with your family and make sure to have fun while you make them.
 
From my family to yours - Merry Christmas!











1 comment:

Jenny said...

How fun! We used to do lots of cookie baking. This season in my life I find it just as fun and a whole lot easier to just let the kids dip pretzels.