Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My Favorite Day of the Year



Think about your favorite day......For me, there is not much competition. I don't even have to think about which day I label as "Number 1." I have one day that tops all the rest. It is the day I think about all year long, and start planning for months in advance. Sometimes, I love the prep time for it almost as much as the day itself!! I said sometimes, because who really likes to dust all the places that you forgot collect dust?  There may be several of you out there that enjoy that, but me.....not so much.  This year I got new curtains for my kitchen during this prep period because when I put them in the washer to clean them up a bit, they sort of disintegrated. All I was left with was blue fuzz......but since those had hung there for over 10 years, I believe I was due some new curtains!  *smirk*

I happen to be the only girl in a family of brothers and I love that!  Some of you may understand what I am talking about. I have one older brother and two younger brothers. So basically, growing up, I had a protector/cohort and two live baby dolls. My older brother and I got into all sorts of trouble together. WAIT!!  Did I really say that. No, we were perfect angels and we didn't cause our parents to wonder why they had ever decided to procreate at all!!!  Ha ha ha!  I jest!! 

My two younger brothers were a blast. Each one so different from each other, yet in need of a big sister to hug, love and hold them!   I was six and then thirteen when they were born and I loved the role of big sister, and still do. I remember reading for hours to them, or taking them on long bike rides to help them get to sleep, or wrestling! (Face it....There is nothing like a sibling wrestling match!!) We grew up pretty close knit and one of the hardest things for me is that all of us live in different areas of the country and we don't get to see each other very often.

Which brings me to the best day of the whole year, Thanksgiving! It has been my honor for several years now, to host our family Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration (Thanksmas....as we call it). It is the one day that we all come together in one place and catch up face to face. I feel so content when my entire family is in one place. My house becomes full of chatter, children, food, laughter and the best thing of all.....FAMILY!

Through the entire day, every year,  I feel like I can't stop smiling! The realization of this long-awaited day has arrived and I have learned to breath in those moments. You see, when I first started hosting this celebration I was concerned about the place settings, the decorations, the food being perfect, the clean up. I loved my family being there, but I probably didn't take the time to let them know just how much it meant to me.

This year was a little different. We ate buffet style on paper plates, and I believe that this was the best celebration yet. Our focus was on each other and making every moment count. When you think about the news headlines that have been bombarding our TV screens, I find myself thankful for the love of a family.
Ephesians 5:16 says - "These are evil times, so make every minute count."

Every day, not just during this holiday season, make every minute count! Take time to share the love of Jesus in everything that you do, and not just with your family....with everyone around you! That will make this a Christmas to remember!

The 3 Girls, My Guy, and I  (and the 3 pups)
hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and
wish you a very Merry Christmas!






No comments: