Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Experiencing the Presence of God


Life can become so busy and filled with distractions that we opt out of the things that would bring us true happiness and peace.  My family and I are no different than you. We too become busy, and stressed which only causes us to be scattered and uneasy. The picture above is us on a bike ride. I hate to admit that our times having fun all together are too few and far between. It can be so easy to get weighed down by cares, errands, worries and....can I say.....email or social media?   I believe I just did!!!  Whatever it is, we lose sight of the things that should matter the most in our lives.
 
I was reading my devotions this morning and there is an interesting story at the end of Luke chapter 2 about when Mary and Joseph took Jesus to Jerusalem for the Passover when He was twelve years old. After the festival was over, they left to go home, and without checking, they just figured that Jesus was with them. My devotional posed this question to me, and I will pose it to you.....I wonder how many times we suppose God's with us when we've wandered off to do our own thing?
How many times do we head off just figuring that God is with us. We didn't spend any time praying about our direction, we just head off hoping upon hope that God will bless what we are doing. This I know.....that is not the way God intended our relationship with Him to be.
 
My devotional went on to say, "Now here's the interesting part. Mary and Joseph had traveled a day's journey before they realized Jesus wasn't with them and then it took three days to find Him. Three days! The message here is that it's easier to lose that special presence of God than it is to get it back once we've lost it. We need to be careful to remain in the presence of God. When we do, we make God feel at home in our hearts."
 
Spending time with God is so important. God desires to walk and talk with us. He desires to be a part of what we are doing. He desires to help us make decisions, and guide us through difficult times. He desires us!!  He has also made us with a free will. So when we don't desire after Him, He doesn't force us to. He allows us a free choice. Oh how it must break His heart when we simply walk away and do our own thing. I know that there have been times that I have broken the heart of God, which in turn should lead us to repentance. As we commit to turn from behavior that offends God, spiritual maturity is taking place in our lives!!
 
I am so thankful that I serve a God that shows me the way of life. My God is alive and relevant to the world around me. My God fills me with joy and peace that cannot be contained!!
 
Psalm 16:11 says: "You will sow me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever." Praise God!!
 
If you haven't already, spend some time with God today....you will be so glad you did!!

Thanks for reading!
Barbette

No comments: