Thursday, April 9, 2015

Living Your Life With the Bathroom Light On!

I am the mom of three amazingly wonderful girls. They have brought me incredible joy as I have watched them grow from baby to young lady! It has not been without challenges, but we were all stronger for them. Something that I truly love is how they love God and their family and do their best to follow His commands in their life. One big question I have is, why is the bathroom light always on!!!

You may think I'm kidding, I'm not. To some of you, this may be familiar territory. I have turned that thing off about a gazillion times, and yet every time I walk by the bathroom, the light is on! How does that happen?  I am bewildered for sure!  Not very long ago, I was giving one of my very fact filled, important lectures to the girls about the need to conserve energy by turning off all the lights. To which they responded, "We turn off all the other lights, we just always seem to leave on the bathroom light."  (This much I already knew!! :-))

That is when God dropped something in my heart. How many of us are guilty of the same thing? How many of us give God everything but one thing.....the ONE thing that we think we will manage ourselves? We are obedient ......to a point.  My girls were obedient to a point and wanted me to be sure to realize that all the other lights are turned off, just not the bathroom light.

God desires all of us. He doesn't need us to manage areas that we think He can't handle. He is the God of the Universe. He created everything we see.....with His Word!!! We can TRUST Him!!! All through scripture we find God telling us to give Him our whole heart. Sometimes that can be scary. We aren't quite sure what He is going to do with our whole heart.....so we hold back. We trust in our own understanding, and that is our first mistake. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight."

I have been as guilty as the next person. I remember thinking I had to protect my little area, even from God!  OUCH!  Have any of you been there.  I found myself miserable, worn out, and way out of my element. The only way to truly find peace and rest is to give it all to God. That is really what He is waiting for!

Just as I love my girls and they can trust me to always have their best interest at heart. We can trust God....even more!
Deuteronomy 6:5, Mark 12:30, and Matthew 22:37 all echo the same sentiment, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength! When you are doing that, loving God with all your heart, soul and strength.....there is no holding back. You are no longer keeping that one area for yourself. You can stop living with the bathroom light on, because that is when He can make your paths straight!

No comments: