Monday, August 11, 2014

Time Snatchers

Have any of you ever wished for more time? I know I have. In fact I have even gone so far as to take it to God in prayer and request more time from Him.  I know, I know you don't have to tell me how ridiculous that is. I know it's ridiculous. I guess I thought that was my last ditch effort to try to fit everything I needed (wanted) to do in.  I approached God rationally. (In my own mind at least)  I listed the times that God made time stand still. I quoted scriptures about his greatness and strength, and then just blurted it out and laid my request right out there!  His response was simple and straight forward. Well, really His response to me was more of a question. I didn't hear God speak audibly, but I did truly hear Him speak to my heart when He said, "You know I love you. I created 24 hours in every day for you to work and then to rest. What do you do with those hours each day?"  OUCH!!

I am a person that has (in the past more than now) found it hard to say no. Even without that "issue" it is not always easy to do all the things necessary. I am a wife, a mother, I homeschool (high school and middle school), I volunteer at church, I volunteer outside of church.....I know that when we list things out like this it makes us feel justified in such an outstanding request of our Lord.  The problem is this, I am also a person that wastes time!

I know, we never want to admit that we could be part of the problem. Believe me, I am cringing as I type this. I never want to waste time, it just happens. What I have noticed is that the more disorganized I am, the harder it is to get anything done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if you're organized you will get everything done that you set your mind to in a timely fashion.  What I am saying is that when you are organized and you have to step away and don't get back to it for a day or four....(you thought I would say two didn't you) you are able to pick it right back up and finish without any problems at all.

Organization is a discipline, and disciplines are things that don't just happen on their own. They take time, energy and effort. They take getting up early or maybe going to bed a little later. The discipline of organization is much like daily Bible study and devotion time. If you don't make time and space for it in your schedule the day will flood you with its own demands and soon you will find that your life has become a raging flooded river where the things that once had its place have swelled over the banks and are mixed up everywhere.

If you struggle with organization there are several things you can do. First, I recommend that you pray about it. God cares about everything in our lives. He is faithful to help you as you work through it.  Next, find some organizational books. There are so many ideas and helpful tips that don't take much time to institute and the impact is huge. Also, take some time to talk to a friend that could help. There are people, and you probably have a person in your mind right now, that are so awesome at organization. They would be thrilled to give you a few pointers. You never know, they may even offer to help.

I know this is only one time snatcher, but it is a biggie. You will see how much more smoothly your day goes if you discipline yourself to stay organized!








No comments: