Friday, August 1, 2014

Perspective is Everything!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014


Perspective is Everything!

I recently had the opportunity to travel with several people from my church to the Dominican Republic on a Mission Trip. It is hard to share in a "nutshell" exactly what the trip was like, but I will give it my best effort!

The heat was exhausting.....
The poverty was overwhelming.....
The missionaries were tireless.....
The country was breathtaking.....
The traffic was hazardous.....
The opportunities were endless.....
Because...
The need is never-ending!

I realized something about myself as an American Christian.....we tend to have a pompous, self-righteous way of thinking about the blessing of God. Most likely because our children aren't running naked and hungry in the streets, or we don't have spiders, bugs and lizards crawling up our walls, and our kitchens consist of more than a lean-to with cinder blocks to cook on.
I learned that no matter where we were born we are all a piece to a "BIG picture". Each piece big enough to complete a picture, yet small enough to leave room for all the other pieces.
Jeremiah 10:23 says I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course.
There are several things I will never forget....
We went to a poor community and ministered to the children there. To witness pure joy on the faces of the children we ministered to was breathtaking.
The gratefulness of Isabel as we painted the interior of her 12'X15' two room house marina blue. I will also never forget the moment she hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear, "te ama mi hija" (I love you my daughter)

I will also never forget how privileged we were to worship in the little Haitian church and feel the presence of God in such a tangible way.
You see God's plan transcends everything! It is not reserved for:
the wealthy, those with homes, or clothes, middle class, Dominicans, Haitians, or Americans...
Jeremiah 29:11 says For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, They are plans or good and not disaster to give you a future and a hope.
As we walked through a poverty stricken neighborhood, God shook my heart up a little bit. The blessing of God is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, goodness, and self-control....and God is truly no respecter of people.
I dare say, It's time for us to stop praying for safety, well-being, and comfort....and start praying that God would break our hearts and shake our worlds up a little bit!

 

No comments: