Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Chara Games: Commissioned Review ~ Homeschool Review Crew

Commissioned {Chara Games}

Let me start by saying that in the recent past we have not necessarily been avid board game participants. With my girls getting older we have gotten away from the board game scene, but I was very excited to have the opportunity to review Commissioned from Chara Games because it was so unique. 


Commissioned {Chara Games}


Let me qualify what I mean by unique. I don't mean unique like a new style of silverware you hadn't seen before, or unique like your friends getting rid of their couches and opting to replace them all with hammocks hanging from the ceiling. . .I mean this game is something that I don't think has ever been tried. This is like Bible Study put in a game format! 

Milo wishing he could help us set up
While I was playing Commissioned with my girls we began to slowly understand the frustrations of the apostles as they attempted to minister in one area and then were put in jail. Or when they planted a church and then persecution came along and took out the believers from that area. I have to give kudos to Chara Games for their creativity and wonderful execution of a spectacular board game. My youngest always wanted to be Peter! She also may or may not have rubbed it in my face that she always managed to snag that apostle card before I had a chance to. No.....I'm not bitter!! LOL!

Add caption
I have a few pictures of the board as we played. . .none of the pictures have us in them because we tend to play games in the evening as we are already sporting PJ's and so the only family member you will see in our photos will be my dogs as they try to run across the board repeatedly. . .yes, even they wanted to get involved! LOL!



Commissioned is a game that you will need to read the instructions with! I watched a "How to Play" video and that helped me a lot. Once you get the hang of how to get going it isn't hard at all, but there are a lot of pieces and parts which add to the story line of the game. Without knowing what to do, you will miss out on the best parts! The premise is to travel the map and make disciples. As you play this game, the Great Commission is your goal! 


Commissioned {Chara Games}

"Commissioned is a 2-6 player, historically themed, cooperative style board game with a simple deck-building mechanism that plays in 1 hour. Players are the early Christian Apostles, and must work together to strengthen your faith decks, grow the Church, collect the books of the New Testament, and overcome trials. You don't need to know anything about Christianity to play." 

This game includes:
  • 1 Double-sided game board
  • 5 Double-sided scenario cards
  • 6 Unique player boards
  • 96 Faith cards
  • 27 Trial cards
  • 4 Wood missionary meeples
  • 75 Wood church member cubes
  • 1 Wood elder's staff
  • 6 Wood player pawns
  • 30 Double-sided stop tokens
  • 5 Double-sided extinguished tokens
  • 1 Converted city leaders token
  • 1 Roman legion token
  • 1 8-sided die
  • 1 Rulebook
  • 1 Theme appendix

My daughter's first trial card she drew sent her to prison. My first card extinguished the church I had just built. As I thought about these cards in light of the Bible, I began to see things from a little different perspective. You see, the building of the church isn't just a Bible story. The apostles along with early believers gave all they had to fulfill the call they had on their lives. That call is the very same call that we have on our lives. . . to go and make disciples. That is our commission. 

Just like the early church would not have been what it was without the apostles, the church of God. . .the kingdom of God depends on us. It is our "Commission" to go into our job, the store, dance class, our college, etc and make disciples.

We loved this game. We are also very excited about the new game that will be coming out soon from Chara Games called 3 Seeds (Reap Where You Sow). 3 Seeds takes 30-45 minutes to play and is for 2-5 players. Players will use seed cards (Time, Money, and Labor) to complete crops, gain bonuses, and find hidden harvest cards...in an effort to maximize their points. The premise is that it isn't just what you sow, but where you sow that matters.

We LOVED this game and know that it will be one that we play over and over again. Great job Chara Games! If you would like to read more reviews about Commissioned, click the image below!
Commissioned {Chara Games}

You can also connect through social media:

Facebook
Twitter




No comments: