Thursday, October 30, 2014

Legacy

The older I get, the more I realize that I have been thinking about what I want to leave for my children. I know for a fact,they think about it too. They each have their "favorite" jewelry, book, knick knack, or whatever it is that they have their eyes on.

I know that is normal, but I also want to leave them something more than that. I want what I leave them to be just as tangible as the knick knack on my end table, but impact them for eternity. I'm sure that all of us parents feel the same way!

I have struggled with what that would look like for years. I have tried to imitate other people's ideas, I have tried to journal, I have tried to scrapbook, I have tried to crochet them blankets (BIG FAIL)....the bottom line is I have tried to become someone I am not.  I don't want to be remembered for that.
 My mother is beautiful through and through. What I would treasure most of hers when she no longer has use for it on this earth is her Bible. As a little girl I remember coming into the living room and my mother's Bible was always on the back of the couch with a notebook in it. Her Thompson Chain Bible full of notes from her devotional time with God. I didn't appreciate it as much then as now. When I was little it would frustrate me because I was always knocking it off, or would whack my head on it when I sat down....But oh how I would love to get my hands on it and flip through the pages and read all the highlighted scriptures and notes in the margins that my mother has spent her entire lifetime notating and commenting on. What a treasure trove of wisdom is to be found in those pages! 

But then again, I know this...I know that the highlighted verses were also highlighted in her heart. She has been diligent to pour that into my life at every opportunity. That is the true legacy!  You see, that is what I want to leave my kids. Not to say that all of the other things that you wonderful, apparently more organized parents than me can, save and create for your children isn't good...it is wonderful!!! It is part of how God made you and will be wonderful memories for your children.  Like I said earlier.....Oh how I wish I had the time, creativity, and "want to" for those projects. 

Instead, I choose to embrace what I know that I can and will do.  I will love God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my strength - like commanded to in Deuteronomy 6:5. With that will be an overflow of Godly wisdom that pours out and leaves a legacy of godliness....a tangible path for my kids to follow. 

You too can leave a path of godliness for your children. Live your life purposefully. Choose every moment of everyday to live passionately for Jesus Christ. Turn to God when you don't know what to do....He will direct your path. Proverbs 3:6 say "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Your children may not say so now, but one day they will realize the wonderful legacy that you created on their behalf, and they will thank you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thought Barb. I hope to build that legacy with you. You are the best Mom I could have asked for my girls!