Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dig Out!

I find myself sitting at my desk today, feeling a little overwhelmed. Have any of you ever had that moment where all the sudden you feel like everything is heavier than it used to be and you can no longer hold it all up?  I don't think I'm alone in this! 
Sometimes we can be gliding along just fine, keeping everything going, then for some reason that we really can't put our finger on.....we come to a screeching halt and everything goes flying!

So, as I sit at my desk today, that is how I feel. That everything that once was a breeze, now seems to litter my office with no exact rhyme or reason!

I want to share a little secret with everyone so lean in.....it's okay to feel that way!  I bet you can't even believe I said that! ha ha ha
It's okay to take a moment and regroup. It's okay to have a moment of feeling overwhelmed.  You see I have learned something that helps me deal with days like this better than I ever have in the past. We do not have to let our feelings dictate our future.

I could sit here feeling overwhelmed and let it so consume my thoughts that I can't get anything done....or I can realize that anyone would feel overwhelmed when they have papers, books, pens and pencils, and a myriad of other miscellaneous items strewn all over their desk. You see I have neglected my office space and not spent much time there lately, so it has become the catch all for whatever was deemed "Mom's" and everything got stacked in, on, or near my desk. So I am doing something about it....it's what I like to call "digging out."

I know that as you read this you probably can relate to a time that you had to do the same thing. I would like to tell you this is the one and only time this has ever happened to me, but that would not be true! It does happen from time to time with all of us.

Sometimes we run into the same problem in our walk with God. Things are going smoothly and that is when we start neglecting the foundational pieces of that relationship. We may not even realize it until something hits us square in the face and we find that we no longer have the strength to go on. I am so thankful that God is not like my desk. My desk offers no help when I find myself overwhelmed, but God is my refuge and strength, my very present help in time of trouble. Psalm 46:1  James 4:8 tells us that if we Draw near to God, He will draw near to us.

We are His children and He never takes His eyes off of us.....even when we take our eyes off of Him. So if you find yourself realizing you have been neglecting those foundational pieces of your relationship with God (Bible reading, prayer, church attendance....) it is time to do something about it. Don't just sit there thinking "It has been so long, and I feel so far gone to do anything about it!".......Dig Out!! 

Pray and ask God to forgive you for the neglect and move forward, Open your Bible and read His Word, go back to church!  Your church family is waiting for you with open arms!  More importantly, the God of the universe who created you and delights in you is also waiting with open arms!  His love is never ending!!




No comments: