Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Charlie the Tramp Book Review



I am a book lover! In fact, one of my favorite things to give as a gift is a book, and I believe that children's books are so much fun! As a mom of three teenagers, I have been extremely excited to have some young nieces and nephews to buy books for! When I had the opportunity to review Charlie the Tramp by Russell Hoban I was overjoyed and couldn't wait for it to come in the mail.

In this book Charlie the Beaver wants to be a tramp when he grows up. Tramps don't have to learn to chop down trees, roll logs, or build dams. "Tramps just tramp around and have a good time. Tramps carry sticks with little bundles tied to them. They sleep in a field when the weather is nice, and when it rains they sleep in a barn. Charlie sets off with his bundle, but when he hears water trickling, he can't get to sleep. Will he be able to resist the urge to make it stop? As Grandfather Beaver says, 'You never know when a tramp will turn out to be a beaver."

Although Charlie the Tramp was originally published in 1966, there is no mistaking the timeless quality to this book. Charlie the Tramp won the Boys Club of America Junior Book Award in 1968, and I can clearly see why. When I read this book to my nieces, they absolutely the story, and truly enjoyed the illustrations by Lillian Hoban. 

Russell Hoban (1925-2011) first became famous for his children's picture books about a badger named Frances an other animal characters. 

Lillian Hoban (1925-1998) is one of America's favorite children's book illustrators. Lillian was born in Philadelphia and attended the Philadelphia Museum School of Art. 

Charlie the Tramp is a beautiful American Classic and I loved that it's 50th anniversary publishing is in a hardcover edition. I am not only a book lover, but I totally love hardcover books and try to buy them any chance I can get! 

Plough publishing editor Sam Hine says, "As a parent of young children I've rarely found new books of this quality. So, like many other parents, I find myself returning to the books of my own childhood. Among these, Charlie the Tramp was a hands-down favorite. We're thrilled to acquire the rights to this timeless classic and make it available to a third generation."

It was my distinct pleasure to review this delightful book. I echo the sentiments of Plough publishing editor Sam Hine when I say that they really don't make books like this anymore. I know that Charlie the Tramp will be a refreshing addition to your home library


“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255:  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”):   I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

No comments: